How to Use TikTok to Grow Your Podcast's Audience

How to Use TikTok to Grow Your Podcast’s Audience


in , ,

If you’re looking for a new way to promote your podcast, you’ve surely considered TikTok. 

So how do you make TikTok an effective marketing channel for your show?

To answer this question we spoke with podcast creator and TikTok guru Lloyd George

➡️ Here’s what he had to say:

How do I Get My Podcast Ready for TikTok?

The first thing I’d say is it absolutely needs to be a video podcast. If you want to promote it on social media, obviously. And then, if you think about creating your podcast as a video first podcast, I think that’s going to give you an advantage.

Some of the small ways that that may translate is whenever you’re recording your podcast, you’ll do everything the exact same, but you’ll want to make sure that you put your phone right next to you and record yourself via video as you are recording your podcast.

Finding small ways like that to continue to include video in your podcast, will be an easy way for you to promote your podcast on TikTok. That said, once you have your podcast recorded and you have that video file, you’ll want to chop it up into small clips you can use on TikTok.

Convert your podcast episodes into video files for free here

Use Your Clips to Educate, Entertain and Get Attention

You have about three seconds for someone to decide whether they’re going to watch your video or not. Here’s how to get viewers to watch your clips:

  • Provide context and solve problems
  • Be entertaining, captivating, or tackle something controversial that captures people’s attention 

Do You Only Get One Chance to Make a Good First Impression?

I do not believe that. I believe you can bomb terribly. And that’s like the beautiful thing about TikToK. You can!

I saw an interesting article that was suggesting that if every single day you just posted the same video, only about 80% of the people that see it are going to be new viewers. Those are people that have never seen your content before. So it actually makes more sense to keep reposting it until it does well – until TikTok finds the appropriate algorithm and sends your video in that direction.

Everyday is a New Opportunity to Find Viewers

I look at every day as sort of like a new opportunity. And so I wake up every day, I say I’m going to put out one video and if it fails, that’s totally okay because tomorrow is a completely different audience. Then, the next day, I’m going to put out another new video – the more at bats you have, the, the more you increase your chances of success.

When I started, I was actually doing like seven videos a day, just because I knew that was like seven tries per day.

I think it’s less pressure than doing one video per day. Because if you’re doing one video, the stakes of that video needing to be really good are a lot higher for you than they are for me.

What if I’m Scared to Go On Camera?

That’s a great, great point. I have a friend named Austin Hankwitz who’s an amazing creator. He’s a finance creator and I think he has like 500,000 followers on TikTok. He does this full time, but I’d say about maybe 80% of his videos are not on camera and the other 20% are.

He does this weird thing where he has his phone pointed on a piece of paper and he’s like writing and talking, but you never see his face. And they’re so engaging, so interesting. 

I encourage people, you know, don’t let that hold you back. It’s more important that you just start. Even if you don’t show your face, let’s just say for the first six months, that’s still six months of you getting better as a creator. That’s still six months of you trying to create an audience and a community. There are so many benefits to starting sooner rather than later.

More to explore

or Search by Topic

Editing | Grow your Podcast | How-to | Make Money Podcasting | Podcast Directories & Apps | Podcast Equipment | Press Releases | Promotions & Discounts | Recording | RSS Feed | Tips for Podcasters