Misty West Gay is a mom, poet, gardener, herbalist, and regenerative rancher. She and her husband Jonathan own Freestone Ranch in northern California. They are a certified Fibershed Climate Beneficial Producer and are a member of the American Grassfed Association. Misty is also a member of the Sonoma County Food System Alliance. Following a stint doing Internet software production and technical writing, back when those things were fun, she circled back to her first loves: poetry and trees.
Highlights of this episode include:
1. Her journey from working in software tech to becoming a regenerative rancher.
2. Why scalability and growth mindset may be problematic for a regenerative ag.
3. Fragile food systems and mobile harvesting units.
4. Why the size of our communities disrupts coherence and interrelational integrity and sense-making.
5. Why restoring the relationship to animal harvest is vital for true connectivity and animal welfare.